Monday, April 13, 2015

A Frock for Spring

I know that for many parts of the US and Canada, you are just tasting the first blooms of spring but here in Florida, it's feeling quite like summer! Either way, it's time to dust off our cute shoes and pull out a new season's wardrobe from storage. I've always loved wardrobe rotation time!


This 1950s dress is perfect for a nice warm day! 


I don't often buy actual vintage anymore. It can be hard to get a good fit especially when buying online, they are not often up to the wear and tear of everyday life and prices have gone way up. But I just had to make an exception for this dress when I found it last summer.


Someone had taken very good care of this dress. All it needed was a wash and to tack on some of the buttons which had come loose.


Speaking of buttons, the ones on this dress are great! Knowing me, I would have probably picked a basic black button to go with such a busy print but these ones are just more fun. Whenever I wear this dress, I'm reminded to not be scared of some of the more exciting buttons in my stash.


And the self-fabric ruffle at the neckline is fabulous too! This would be a great way to use up those little bits that are always left over from a sewing project.


I wish that it had a matching self-fabric belt but this black one does just fine. It's probably one of my most worn accessories actually.


Unfortunately, we were running late this morning so it's the only accessory I had time to throw on. And my hair was kind of blah but that's life sometimes. Not everyday has to be picture perfect.


Simple and pretty is always a good idea. The more I wear vintage, the more I am attracted to more simple, everyday styles. Those fancy looks just take so much energy.


Of course, I still love my giant crinolines! And swooshy skirts!


What are you excited to wear as spring is arriving?

6 comments:

  1. What a great dress! I live in Southern Ontario and we just had our first real warm day yesterday. I got all dressed up and I loved it. I can wait to break out my summer wardrobe lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress looks fabulous on you Stephanie!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress! That rich, classic shade of garnet meets burgundy is positively fantastic on you.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I think I remember this dress from before?? Anyways, it's really beautiful, and I love the unique little details! It's the little things like buttons and ruffles that make vintage fashions so awesome. I have to remember to try and incorporate things like that into my own sewing. :) ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been here a while - so sorry about that, dear.
    Let me tell you this: you are glowing.
    Your dresses (features in few previpus posts) are absolutely amazing. This one in particular (but, I'm not beoing objective, since I love the color). :)

    Marija

    ReplyDelete