Thursday, March 28, 2013

WIP: March

I've been working on bits and pieces of things, but knowing that it is much too chilly to wear any of these even if they were finished has given me creative ADD. So, instead of one finished project, I give you several works in progress.

1. Early 40s shirt dress


While at Costume College, I took a class taught by the lovely Lauren of Wearing History on making a working vintage wardrobe and I took detailed notes on the essentials that I wanted to make. One thing that really intrigued me was the idea of a basic white shirt dress that could be matched up with a rainbow of different accessories for tons of looks. I finally cut into the 6 yds of white rayon I brought home from the LA garment district and started this dress. It just needs a few more buttons and hemming....and about 40F higher temperatures.

2. Lavenda Droplet Bolero


I thought a good spring project would be a bolero and I fell in love with this one from A Stitch In Time Vol. 2. It's actually knitting up rather quickly. I've got the back and one side done and the second side is almost done. I'm switching out the long sleeves for the short sleeves from the matching blouse so this project should be finished in the next month or so.

3. My first Vogue


I've started picking up a couple vintage Vogue patterns whenever they go on sale but this is the first time I've ever made one. Since I haven't worked with this brand before, I opted to make a muslin which was a good idea because it needed a bit of work. I've found that muslins are a great way to use up those leftover bits of fabric that are too big to toss but not big enough to really do much with. I've got a great novelty print fabric for this dress and I'm super excited for it!

Have you moved on to Spring/Summer projects or are you trying to squeeze in one last winter projects?

5 comments:

  1. Ooohh, I love the idea of a basic white shirtdress that works like a blank canvas for a myriad of accessories. I'm rarely brave enough to wear head-to-toe white, but perhaps if it was a good thick fabric, I might wear a solid white dress (I can't remember the last time I had one). I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for one now. Thanks for the inspiration, hon!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see how your vintage vogue works out. I have a couple in my stash and have made one or two for theatre costumes, but I haven't ever been brave enough to make one for everyday wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jessica, all white is a bit scary ('cuz I'm bound to get SOMETHING on it!), but I think if it were thick enough and didn't require lots of layering, I'd definitely try it, too! If I could learn to be careful, it really would look great with all kinds of accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring? Oh! Is it Spring? Yes, I guess it is, at least according to the calendar. I have nothing planned yet for Spring/Summer projects. Right now I am knitting a scarf. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made that Vintage Vogue one before, and phew, was it a struggle fitting-wise, but I liked how it turned out in the end! You were very wise to make a muslin beforehand. I love the fabrics you've chosen for it! Good luck!!! =]
    -Charlotte
    http://abelleofthebluegrass.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete