Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Suit-able for the 1940s

I haven't bought a lot of ready to wear clothing lately but when I spied this navy and white microprint suit jacket at Banana Republic for a mere $35, I snatched it up.


I had planned on attempting to make a 40s suit this fall/winter but maybe now I won't have too.


Outfit:
Jacket: Banana Republic
Blouse: vintage
Hat: vintage
Skirt: Simplicity 3688


Yay for fall weather!


I got this hat way back in June but it was soon too hot to wear it. I'm so happy I can whip it out again.


I think I'm going to replace the weird bone colored buttons with something more match-y and add one more button to raise the stance a bit.


What are you excited about wearing this fall?

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic find - BR for that price is a steal any way you slice it! Love this jacket, it's just the kind of piece I'd gravitate towards, too (we don't have a BR anywhere nearby or else I'd be down there seeing if Canadian BRs were selling it for that price, too).

    There's very little I'm not excited about and looking forward to this fall, from our wedding anniversary next month to Canadian Thanksgiving (also next month), romping through piles of crispy leaves to dusting off my cold weather wardrobe. Autumn is all good in my books! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Love the little peplum. If you add some nice chunky shoulder pads it'll look extra 40's - I swear, my vintage 40's jackets are armor-plated in the shoulders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I vote for that sweet hat. It's a reason all by itself to look forward to fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been sewing so much cotton this summer I'm looking forward to my first forays into wool blends this winter. A suit is on my list. I'm wanting lots of mix n match separates. Long and 3/4 sleeve blouses with smart skirts. And maybe something in velvet....
    Can I ask what material is your skirt made from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's some mystery fabric from my stash that someone gave me. I think it's some sort of polyester special occasion fabric.

      Delete
  5. So cute! I love it paired with the maroon/burgundy. I like Beth's suggestion about the shoulder pads, too.

    ReplyDelete