Monday, September 3, 2012

If you can't wear a pretty dress, you might as well go shopping

Since the forecast for today was overcast and rainy, this Renaissance Faire trip was not a good one for costumes, but we made up for it in shopping! :)


My splurge for this year was a lovely leather corset from Brown Cow Art. It makes my waist look like it's been photoshopped. :) And it's not even nearly as tight as it could be. I'm sooooo happy that I was good at Jo-Ann's this weekend and only spent $10 instead of bringing home the 6-10 yds of $10/yd fabric that I fell in love with.....


The lady who helped me was very enthusiastic and let me try on several corsets before I found one I liked. Of course, now I need some appropriate clothes to wear under my corset.


My husband's big purchase for the season was a kilt and accessories. He's been wanting one for a while and aside from the fact that wool is ridiculously expensive, I have zero desire to do all of those pleats so he opted to buy one instead.


I also got some accessories for my new Renaissance costume.


I got earrings to match my growing collection from Stillwater Chainmail.


A nice black belt from Blue Flame Leather.


And a leather pouch found at a corset shop of all places (Renaissance Fashions). It's not nearly as nice of a quality as the leather from Brown Cow Art or Blue Flame Leather but I really wanted this size and shape and it was not too pricey either.

If you missed last year's haul, it's here and here. To catch up on all of my Renaissance costuming adventures, set aside a few hours and start here.

10 comments:

  1. that corset truely looks increidble! I love brown leather. Looks like its come straight from an amazing costume department

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The man who makes them is truly an artist.

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize until a few minutes ago that you live in Ohio! :0
    By chance, have you ever been to the Conneaut Ohio DDay reenactment?
    I'm really adoring your lovely corset, I'm quite jealous.
    Also, looking through your spoils from last year, I'm exceedingly jealous of your knife-scissors. I was going to buy a pair last year and had lost money at some point, but that's the problem with a purse that doesn't seal closed. :T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to the DDay reenactment. I'm in Dayton, so that's kind of a far drive.

      Those knife-scissors are pretty cool looking. The same booth was selling them again this year and they have a gunmetal colored pair now too. Alas, they are not the easiest to use because the holes for your fingers have pointy edges in them.

      Delete
    2. Ahh, that is a far drive! I actually met a few people this year who came from forever away, because our reenactment is the most realistic one in America. I met a blogger from Washington state! :D
      As I deal in weapons once or twice a year at an anime convention, I often see these scissors and wish that I had bought them. They don't seem like they would be very conventional, so I'll stick to my lefty scissors!

      Delete
  3. You both look fantastic! I've always been a fan of traditional Scottish garb, so your husband's ensemble gets a definite thumbs up from me.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an amazing buy! Good for your self-control at Joann's, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohmygoodness, that corset is awesome. Where'd you get it?? I've been thinking about purchasing a renaissance/medieval style corset lately for an upcoming project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it at the Ohio Renaissance Festival. The artisan (Brown Cow Art) has a website: http://www.browncowart.com/ I know he does custom orders too but I think the turn around time is 6+ months. They are pricier than the fabric with steel boning style corset but super comfy.

      It's also NOT period correct Renaissance or Medieval corset shape but I'm planning a more fantasy type outfit for it.

      Delete
  6. So many styles of corset to choose from, my favorite is the leather corset for sheer sensuality.

    leather corset

    ReplyDelete